10 Examples of Conditional Sentences Type 0! A conditional sentence is a sentence that states an event or action that will happen only if something else happens first. In other words, the conditional sentence sets up a cause-and-effect relationship.
There are four different types of conditional sentences, and each one has a different purpose. The first type is called the zero conditional. This type of conditional sentence is used to describe scientific facts or general truths.
For example: If you heat ice, it melts.
The zero conditional is used when the conditions for the event are always met, or when the consequences are always true. In other words, the event will happen every time the conditions are met.
Another example of a zero conditional sentence would be: If you add salt to water, it boils at a higher temperature.
Table of Contents
10 Examples of Conditional Sentences Type 0
- If you eat too much sugar, you will get a sugar high.
- If you drink alcohol, your blood pressure will rise.
- If you smoke cigarettes, your lungs will get damaged.
- If you stay up all night, you will be tired the next day.
- If you study hard, you will do well on the test.
- If it rains, the ground will get wet.
- If the sun shines, it will be hot outside.
- If there is a full moon, werewolves come out to play!
- If you drop a glass, it will shatter into pieces.
- If you press the brake when driving, the car will stop.
Conditional Sentences Type 0 Exercises
Complete the following sentences with the correct form of verb:
a) If I _______ (have) enough money, I would buy a new car.
b) If she _______ (not/be) so lazy, she would have been promoted by now.
c) We wouldn’t be in this mess if you _______ (listen) to me.
d) If I _______ (know) how, I would fix it myself.
e) She would have gone to the party if she _______ (not/be) so tired.
- a) had
- b) weren’t
- c) had listened
- d) knew
- e) hadn’t been.